Churros (Spanish breakfast fritters)
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
Submitted by: Chinsey
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Paul Bloxham's Spanish breakfast fritters taste great rolled in cinnamon sugar and dipped in raspberry ketchup
For the raspberry ketchup
- 375 g fresh raspberries, or frozen ones, de-frosted
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
For the churros
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Blend the raspberries to a puree in a food processor, adding the lime juice and sugar to taste.
2. Using a rubber spatula, push the raspberry puree through a fine sieve placed over a bowl and discard the seeds. Transfer the puree to a squeezy bottle.
3. To make the churros, heat equal amounts of vegetable and olive oil in a deep-frying pan or electric fryer to 170C.
4. To make the churro dough, heat the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan until boiling. Add the flour and stir vigorously over a low heat for about a minute, until the mixture forms a ball, then remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.
5. Beat the eggs until smooth, then gradually beat into the mixture a little at a time. If it looks like it's splitting, just keep beating it until the egg is incorporated.
6. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Squeeze 10cm strips of dough into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
7. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and roll the churros in the sugar mixture. Serve with the raspberry ketchup.