On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Bring It On
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 50 min, plus overnight soaking for beans
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
For an interesting take on traditional fish pie, try Jean Christophe Novelli`s haricot bean, blue cheese and sea food pie, set inside crisp golden Yorkshire pudding
Method1. To make the Yorkshire pudding, preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Break the egg into it and beat in the milk, gradually incorporating the flour and water. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place the dripping in a roasting tin and set the tin on a baking tray. Heat in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the roasting tin from the oven and pour the batter into the sizzling hot fat. Return the tin to the baking tray and cook on the highest shelf for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden.
5. Meanwhile, drain the soaked beans and place in a saucepan. Cover with fish stock and boil for 20 minutes or so, until soft. Drain and transfer to a blender, reserving the stock.
6. Blitz the beans until smooth, adding enough fish stock to give a smooth sauce-like consistency.
7. Season with salt and pepper and pour in the cream. Blitz again until smooth. Return the sauce to a clean saucepan and heat gently. Stir in the cheese and truffle oil.
8. Gently fold in the fish and shellfish.
9. Spoon the mixture into the centre of the Yorkshire pudding and return to the oven. Cook for 10 minutes or so, until heated through. Serve straight from the oven.
For the Yorkshire pudding
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 75 ml milk
- 55 ml water
- 2 tbsp beef dripping
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the filling
- 250 g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 400 ml fish stock
- 50 ml double cream
- 50 g Benleigh Blue or stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2-3 tbsp truffle oil
- 400 g cooked mixed fish, such as cod and salmon
- 400 g cooked shellfish, such as prawns, mussels and squid rings