On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Donut Showdown - The Great Canadian Donut
- 20:30 - Donut Showdown - Harvest
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Calabash, Chuck's Burger Bar, Sky Blue Sky
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus overnight marinating
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 30 min
Good things come to those who wait, and Jean-Christophe Novelli's braised pig cheeks are slowly cooked to perfection
Method1. Marinate the pigs cheeks with the wine, port, vegetables, garlic, herbs and orange rind. Leave on one side overnight.
2. Drain the marinated cheeks and pat dry, reserving any marinade for the sauce. Dust the cheeks thoroughly with flour, shaking off any excess.
3. In a large oven-proof pan or casserole, heat the olive oil and fry the cheeks until browned all over. At the same time, bring the marinade to the boil in another pan, skimming if necessary.
4. Once the cheeks are browned, pour the marinade over them and cook on a low heat about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
6. After 1 hour, pour the white stock into the pan, cover with a lid or foil and cook slowly in the oven for another 2-3 hours. You may want to check the meat with a fork after 2 hours, to make sure it's not drying out.
7. Remove the cheeks from the pan and keep hot. Pass the marinade through a fine sieve into a clean pan and cook down on a medium heat to a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve the cheeks with spring onion mash, baby vegetables and the sauce.