On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Spicy Sichuan
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Cooking for Friends and Family
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 50 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 55 min
Mike Robinson combines tender venison under crisp flaky pastry for a delicious and hearty pie
Method1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the venison for 3-4 minutes, until browned; remove from the pan.
2. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Return the meat to the pan and add the beef stock and ale.
4. Stir in the tomato puree and thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the meat is tender.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the meat and vegetables.
6. Mix the flour and butter together and whisk into the sauce. Stir until thickened.
7. Divide the meat and vegetables between 4 individual pie dishes.
8. Roll out the pastry and stamp out 4 rounds, each big enough to cover the top of the pie dishes, and place one on the top of each pie.
9. Brush with beaten egg and cook for 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden and puffed up.
10. Serve straight from the oven with some new potatoes, green beans and a generous helping of sauce.