On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 5
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Bread
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Pudding fans will adore these individual featherlight treacle sponges with silky smooth Chantilly custard from Alan Coxon
Method1. To make the puddings, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter 6 dariole moulds and dust the bases with sugar.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the flour and stir thoroughly for 2 minutes.
3. In a separate pan, heat the milk with the vanilla and bring to simmering point.
4. Add the milk to the flour and butter, a little at a time. Stir constantly, until all the milk has been used and the ingredients are fully incorporated.
5. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating the mixture until smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and sugar until light and fluffy.
8. Carefully fold into the flour and egg mix.
9. Place 1 tablespoon of treacle carefully into the base of each mould. Fill the moulds three-quarters full with the sponge mix.
10. Place the moulds into a roasting tray and add enough hot water to come half way up the sides of the mould. Cook for 25 minutes or so, until springy and golden.
11. Meanwhile, make the Chantilly custard. Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the vanilla pod. Heat gently.
12. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy.
13. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and cut it in half. Scrape out the seeds and stir into the milk.
14. Gently pour the milk over the egg mixture, and then pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Stir over a low heat, until thickened.
15. Whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla essence together until lightly thickened; fold it into the custard sauce.
16. Turn the puddings out onto dessert plates, spoon over the custard and serve straight away.