On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Wyoming
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 11
- Prep time:
- 1 hr
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 min
For a fabulous lunch full of good traditional flavours, try Brian Turner's succulent roast mutton with buttery minted cabbage and gravy
Method1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8. Heat the lard in a roasting tin and add the meat. Fry on the hob for 5 minutes on each side to seal. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to 190C/gas 5 and cook for a further 30-40 minutes or so, until just pink in the middle. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile, drain away any excess fat and add the onions to the roasting tray. Cook on the hob for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
4. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cook for 5 minutes, then strain into a clean saucepan.
5. Mix the cornflour with enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Add to the stock and cook for 4-5 minutes, until thick and smooth.
6. Cook the cabbage in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, until just cooked. Drain and refresh by dunking in cold water to cool.
7. Pour the wine and vinegar into a small saucepan. Add the mint and cook for 3-4 minutes, until reduced.
8. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the cabbage. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar and mint reduction and stir well.
9. Carve the mutton into slices and serve with the minted cabbage and gravy.