On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 3
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia and New York
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Brown rice adds a deliciously nutty touch to traditional paella in this semi oven-baked recipe from Anthony Stewart
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large deep ovenproof frying pan, set over a moderate heat. Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and soften over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add the saffron, wine, fish stock and water. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat a separate large frying pan and add the vegetables and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
5. Add the shellfish.
6. Remove the rice from the oven and tip into the pan along with the tomato sauce.
7. Stir in the herbs and serve straight away.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125 g shallots, sliced
- 500 g long grain brown rice
- 0.5 tsp strands saffron
- 125 ml white wine
- 500 ml fish stock
- 375 ml water
- 0.5 bulbs Florence fennel, diced
- 4 red peppers, diced
- 1 kg peas
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 mussels
- 400 g jumbo prawns
- 8 scallops
- 100 ml tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunches parsley, chopped
- 1 bunches tarragon, chopped