Reindeer loin with chestnut, cranberry and sprout stir-fry
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 1
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 5
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Family Favourites
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
For festive flavours, try Martin Blunos' fabulous recipe for reindeer loin with fruity sprout and chestnut stir-fry
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- 5 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 x 800 g reindeer loin, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 115 ml madeira
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 ml veal stock
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the stir fry
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Mix the crushed pepper and juniper together and rub into the reindeer meat.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and fry the reindeer on all sides then transfer to a roasting tray. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and leave to rest in a warm place.
3. In the same pan as the meat was seared, add the Madeira, shallot and garlic. Boil for 5 minutes, or until reduced and syrupy.
4. Add the veal stock and any juices that may have drained from the resting meat. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until reduced by one third. Strain through a sieve into a clean pan. Adjust seasoning with the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oil for the stir-fry in a large saucepan or wok. Add the sprouts, stirring all the time. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the garlic and spring onions. Cook for a further minute.
7. Add the chestnuts and cranberries. Add the honey, and season with the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
8. Slice the reindeer and serve straight away with the sprout stir fry.