On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians: Still Hungry - Lazio and Machismo
- 21:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 21:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
Submitted by: Billyl43
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Wilted cabbage, flavoursome bacon and deliciously waxy potatoes all work well together in this hearty dish made by Tom Norrington-Davies
Method1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender. Drain and set aside. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Heat the butter or fat in a frying pan with the oil, and fry the onion on over a high heat so it starts to catch. Still on the heat, toss in the bacon, followed by the sage, juniper berries and garlic.
3. Add the cabbage and stir. Either sprinkle the cabbage with water or wash it without draining. Cook until the cabbage leaves have wilted. Warm a roasting tin in the oven.
4. Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and tip in the other ingredients. Stir well before transferring to the hot tray. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook then for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- 600 g waxy potatoes, with red skins
- 2 tsp goose fat, duck fat or butter
- 1 splashes olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 heads cavolo nero, (black cabbage), stalks removed, roughly shredded
- 150 g pancetta, or bacon, diced
- 6-7 sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3-4 juniper berries, lightly crushed