On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 20:30 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 21:00 - Food and Drink - Jun Tanaka - Street Food
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 40 min
Bring a taste of Moroccan cooking to the table with this aromatic and hearty lamb casserole made by Rachel Allen
Method1. Heat a large casserole or heavy saucepan, and add the olive oil, garlic, onions, ginger, and the spices. Season with salt and pepper, and stir and cook over a low heat, with the lid on, for about 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
2. Add the lamb, along with the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and honey. Continue to cook, with the lid on, for a further 1 hour, stirring every now and then.
3. If you'd rather cook this tagine in the oven instead of on the stove, preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2, and cook for another hour.
4. Remove the lid, and continue cooking for 20-30 more minute, on a very gentle heat, until the tagine has thickened and the meat is tender. Season to taste - the flavour should be quite sweet and aromatic.
5. For the couscous; place the couscous in a bowl and add the olive oil and lemon juice, and mix well.
6. Pour over the boiling stock or water and season with salt and pepper. Leave on one side to sit until all the liquid has been absorbed - about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the chopped herbs and add the pomegranate seeds.
7. Spoon the tagine on serving plates and serve with the couscous. Accompany with lime or lemon wedges and a bowl of yogurt.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g onions, chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 kg lamb shoulder, cut into 4cm cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 kg tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp honey
For the couscous
- 500 g couscous
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 500 ml boiling chicken stock or water
- 1 tsp salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped mint or coriander
- 1 pomegranate, cut in half, seeds removed
- lime or lemon wedges
- Greek yogurt