On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 1 hr
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
A host of traditional flavours and ingredients combine to give a real taste of Scotland in this recipe from Eadie Manson
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Cut the haggis in half and shape into mini cakes - about 3cm in diameter.
2. Roll in flour and shake off the excess.
3. Dip the haggis cakes into the beaten egg to coat and roll in the brioche crumbs.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the cakes for 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to the oven and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. For the red onion marmalade, heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion and chilli. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the star anise, sugar and vinegar. Pour in the red wine and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture is thick and glossy.
7. For the curried clapshot, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the curry powder and ginger and cook for 4-5 minutes.
8. Add the swede and potato and enough water to cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, until tender. Mash thoroughly and pass through a sieve whilst still warm.
9. Beat in the butter and chives; keep warm.
10. To make the sauce, heat the oil and add the carrot and turnip. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
11. Add the whisky and cook for 3-4 minutes to burn off the alcohol.
12. Stir in the cream and cook for 5 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste and stir in the parsley.
13. Pipe the curried clapshot onto plates and serve with the haggis cakes, onion marmalade and whisky sauce.
For the haggis cakes
- 80 g haggis
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75 g brioche breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the red onion marmalade
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1/2 red chilli
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100 ml red wine
For the clapshot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 250 g swede or turnips, diced
- 250 g potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
For the sauce