On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Crisp golden pastry with a gorgeous passion fruit filling makes this a dream of a dessert from Tamasin Day-Lewis
Method1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape put the seeds. Add them to the bowl.
3. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
4. Add the egg yolks and enough iced water to bring the mixture together into a smooth dough.
5. Roll the pastry out to line a 23cm tart tin and chill for 30 minutes, or until required.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper over the pastry base and scatter with baking beans or rice. Bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and greaseproof or foil, prick the bottom and sides of the tart case and brush it with a little egg white. Put it back in the oven for 10 minutes or until the pastry is firm and a pale biscuit colour.
7. While the pastry is in the oven, scoop the flesh out of the passion fruit into a small pan.
8. Heat very gently, just to warm, so the fruit doesn't begin to cook; this loosens the seeds from the pulp. Sieve very, very thoroughly into a bowl so that you extract the maximum amount of juice possible. Reserve the seeds.
9. Beat the eggs together with the yolks and the sugar.
10. Melt the butter in the pan over a very gentle heat. Stir in the egg mixture and most of the passion fruit mixture. If you leave a spoonful or two back for when the curd has set it will intensify the flavour further.
11. Continue cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes, until the curd thickens. Remove from the heat and add the remaining pulp and a tablespoon of the reserved seeds.
12. Remove the tart shell from the oven and leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Pour in the passion fruit curd and leave to cool further. Serve warm or cold with lashings of cream.
For the pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 110 g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tbsp unrefined icing sugar
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg white, for brushing
For the filling
- 10 large or 14 small wrinkly passion fruit
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 110 g unrefined caster sugar, or to taste
- 110 g unsalted butter
- cream, to serve