On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - New York
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 12
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Crisp pastry, raspberry jam and a dense almond topping create a real family favourite in this classic Bakewell tart from Tamasin Day-Lewis
Method1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in enough iced water to bring the mixture together into a smooth dough. Roll the pastry out to line a 23cm tart tin and chill for 30 minutes, or until required.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Spread a layer of jam generously over the tart base.
4. Melt the butter and continue to heat until it smells nutty.
5. Whisk together the sugar, ground almonds, egg yolks, egg whites and almond extract.
6. Pour in the hot butter and whisk until smooth.
7. Spoon the mixture over the jam.
8. Transfer the tart to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned and just set, scattering the flaked almonds over the tart after 25 minutes so that they get a chance to brown slightly.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 20 minutes. Serve warm with fresh cream.
For the pastry
For the filling and topping
- 170 g strawberry or raspberry jam
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 110 g vanilla sugar
- 110 g ground almonds
- 3 eggs, plus one additional egg yolk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- handfuls blanched flaked almonds
- cream, to serve