On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 20:30 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 21:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Manju Mahli works a little Indian magic to give flavour and flair to canned tuna
Method1. To make the tuna masala, heat the oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds. Cook for a few seconds, until they begin to pop.
2. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the turmeric, ground coriander and cumin.
4. Add the tomato puree and chopped tomato (if using) and mix thoroughly.
5. Stir in the tuna and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the garam masala and keep warm until ready to serve.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced rice. Heat the oil in a saucepan or wok, and add the cumin and mustard seeds. Cook until they begin to pop.
7. Add the onions and fry for 4 minutes. Stir in the chillies and turmeric powder, and season with salt.
8. Add the rice, mix thoroughly, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until hot.
9. Serve the tuna masala with the rice and accompany with sweet tomato chutney.
For the tuna masala
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinches mustard seeds, (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tomato, chopped (optional
- 200 g tinned tuna, in oildrained
- pinches garam masala
For the spiced rice