Tuna masala and spiced rice
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Manju Mahli works a little Indian magic to give flavour and flair to canned tuna
For the tuna masala
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinches mustard seeds, (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tomato, chopped (optional
- 200 g tinned tuna, in oildrained
- pinches garam masala
For the spiced rice
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. To make the tuna masala, heat the oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds. Cook for a few seconds, until they begin to pop.
2. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the turmeric, ground coriander and cumin.
4. Add the tomato puree and chopped tomato (if using) and mix thoroughly.
5. Stir in the tuna and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the garam masala and keep warm until ready to serve.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced rice. Heat the oil in a saucepan or wok, and add the cumin and mustard seeds. Cook until they begin to pop.
7. Add the onions and fry for 4 minutes. Stir in the chillies and turmeric powder, and season with salt.
8. Add the rice, mix thoroughly, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until hot.
9. Serve the tuna masala with the rice and accompany with sweet tomato chutney.