On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas
- Prep time:
- 1 hr
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Tempt the tastebuds with Paul Bloxham`s glorious Asian-inspired pork balls served with tangy sweet and sour dip
Method1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and add half of the flour. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, over a low heat.
2. Add the pork, onion and pepper and cook until soft.
3. Stir in the garlic, and add the stock, salt, and cayenne - bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until thick, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the rice, spring onions, and half the breadcrumbs and stir well to combine.
6. Remove from the heat and spread on a baking sheet until cool enough to handle.
7. Place the remaining flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
8. Tip the remaining breadcrumbs in another bowl.
9. In a third bowl, whisk the egg and milk together.
10. Shape the pork and rice mixture into balls - about 2.5cm in diameter.
11. Dredge the pork balls first in the flour, and then dip in the egg, shaking off any excess.
12. Dredge the balls in the crumbs, coating evenly.
13. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or wok to 175C. Fry the pork balls for about 2 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season lightly and repeat with the remaining balls, until all the mixture is used.
14. To make the dip; combine the vinegar, sugar, tomato ketchup, red chilli and salt together in a saucepan.
15. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
16. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the spring onion, tomato and coriander. Serve hot, with the pork balls.
For the pork balls
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 500 g leftover roast pork, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300 ml chicken stock
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 250 g boiled rice
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 100 g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
For the hot sweet and sour dip