On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Light potato dumplings simmered in a rich tomato sauce makes an ideal light meal in this tasty recipe by Gino D'Acampo
Method1. Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, and bring to the boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, and peel before mashing and pushing through a potato ricer (which looks a bit like a large garlic press).
2. Beat in the eggs and flour while the potatoes are still hot. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Using your hand, knead the mixture for about 3-4 minutes - until it becomes a smooth, soft dough. Take a handful of the potato mixture and roll into a long thin sausage shape, about 1.5cm thickness.
4. Slice the potato rope into lengths - about 1.5cm long. Using your thumb, roll the potato dumpling against the prongs of a fork, which will create ridge marks on one side. Do this with all the gnocchi before arranging them on a well-floured tray.
5. To prepare the sauce; soften the onions in a large frying pan with the olive oil. After about 5 minutes, add the passata and basil leaves, season with salt and pepper, and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
5. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi, in batches for 2-3 minutes, until they rise to the surface.
6. Using a wire scoop, transfer the cooked gnocchi from the water into the tomato sauce. Simmer a further two minutes before adding the mozzarella cheese. Serve straight away with a dusting of grated Parmesan cheese on top.
For the gnocchi
For the tomato sauce