On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus overnight soaking
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 30 min
Nigel Slater's delicious Christmas pudding has the seedy crunch of figs, a sparkle from hand-cut peel and a slight tartness from the apricots and orange zest
Method1. You will need two 1.5 litre plastic pudding basins and lids, buttered, two old sixpences or two pound coins, scrupulously scrubbed, two circles of greaseproof paper, buttered, large enough to cover the top of each pudding, with a single pleat folded down the centre of each.
2. Soak the sultanas, raisins or currants, figs, candied peel, apricots and cherries in the brandy overnight. The liquid won't cover the fruit but no matter; just give it a good stir now and again.
3. Mix the grated apples, orange juice and zest, beaten eggs, suet, sugar, crumbs and flour in a very large mixing bowl, then stir in the soaked fruit and the spice. Divide the mixture between the buttered pudding basins, tucking the coins in as you go. Cover with the greaseproof paper, folded with a pleat in the centre.
4. Pop the lids on and steam for three and a half hours. Allow the puddings to cool, then remove the greaseproof paper, cover tightly with cling ?lm and the plastic lid and store in a cool, dry place till Christmas.
5. To reheat: steam the puddings for a further three and a half hours. Turn out and flame with brandy.
- 350 g sultanas
- 350 g raisins, or currants
- 150 g dried figs, chopped
- 125 g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 100 g dried apricots, chopped
- 75 g dark glacé cherries, halved
- 150 ml brandy, plus some for flaming
- 2 apples, or quince
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 6 eggs
- 250 g shredded suet
- 350 g soft muscovado sugar
- 250 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice