On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Cake with Friends
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Lightly crisp on top and with a good, open texture, Nigel Slater's ginger cake is light, moist and delicately gingery.
Method1. You will need a square cake tin measuring approximately 20-22cm, lined on the bottom with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Sift the flour with the ground ginger, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3. Put the golden and ginger syrups and the butter into a small saucepan and warm over a low heat. Dice the stem ginger finely, then add it to the pan with the sultanas and sugar. Let the mixture bubble gently for a minute, giving it the occasional stir to stop the fruit sticking on the bottom.
4. Break the eggs into a bowl, pour in the milk and beat gently to break up the egg and mix it into the milk.
5. Remove the butter and sugar mixture from the heat and pour into the flour, stirring smoothly and firmly with a large metal spoon. Mix in the milk and eggs. The mixture should be sloppy, with no trace of flour.
6. Scoop the mixture into the lined cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Unless you are serving it warm, leave the cake in its tin to cool, then tip it out on to a sheet of greaseproof paper. Wrap it up in foil and, if you can, leave it to mature for a day or two before eating.
This recipe is just one of over 300 tasteful recipes featured in Nigel Slater's book: The Kitchen Diaries
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinchfine salt
- 200 g golden syrup
- 2 tbsp syrup from the jar of stem ginger
- 125 g butter
- 3 lumps preserved stem ginger, about 55g
- 2 tbsp sultanas, heaped
- 125 g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml milk