On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - English
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Malaysian
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - Italian
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
David Massey's custard tart is packed with nutmeg and scented with vanilla - vary the nutmeg quantity if you fancy a more subtle taste...
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/ gas 5.
2. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to 5mm thickness, and use to line a buttered 18cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
3. Prick the bottom of the tart with a fork. Line the pastry case with a large piece of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
4. Bake for 5-7 minutes until the pastry has set in shape. Remove the beans and paper and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until coloured.
5. In a medium saucepan, heat the cream to a gentle simmer.
6. Whisk the beaten eggs and sugar together in a heatproof jug. Gently pour the eggs over the hot cream, whisking all the time - take care not to whisk too vigorously though, as you don't want to make lots of air bubbles. Add half the nutmeg and the vanilla extract.
7. Reduce the oven to 160C/ gas 3.
8. Pull the middle baking shelf half way out of the oven. Transfer the flan tin onto a baking tray and place on the oven shelf. Gently pour the mixture into the pastry case and then sprinkle on the remaining nutmeg. Carefully push the oven shelf back in.
9. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the filling is firm in the centre. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.