On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 3
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia and New York
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Gino D`Acampo blends Italian flavours with a little eastern magic to create crisp-battered prawns and a mouth-watering salad
Method1. Sieve the cornflour and flour into a bowl and mix in the peppercorns, salt and 5 spice powder.
2. Stir in the soda water - the batter should be thin, almost broth-like. If it seems too thick, add more soda water.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or deep fat fryer. Dip the prawns into the batter and fry for about1 minute, until crisp and golden. Transfer to a baking tray lined with absorbent paper and keep warm.
4. Mix together the chilli, watercress, apple, walnuts and bean sprouts in a large bowl and season with a little salt.
5. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Mix well and divide equally between 4 plates.
6. Place a handful of fried prawns on top and serve at once.
For the prawns
- 60 g cornflour
- 60 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
- 190 ml soda water, ice-cold
- 1 litres sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 500 g large prawns, peeled
For the salad