Gamberoni tempura (prawn tempura)
By: From: Great Food Live
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Portland, OR
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Seattle
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 7
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Gino D`Acampo blends Italian flavours with a little eastern magic to create crisp-battered prawns and a mouth-watering salad
For the prawns
- 60 g cornflour
- 60 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
- 190 ml soda water, ice-cold
- 1 litres sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 500 g large prawns, peeled
For the salad
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Sieve the cornflour and flour into a bowl and mix in the peppercorns, salt and 5 spice powder.
2. Stir in the soda water - the batter should be thin, almost broth-like. If it seems too thick, add more soda water.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or deep fat fryer. Dip the prawns into the batter and fry for about1 minute, until crisp and golden. Transfer to a baking tray lined with absorbent paper and keep warm.
4. Mix together the chilli, watercress, apple, walnuts and bean sprouts in a large bowl and season with a little salt.
5. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Mix well and divide equally between 4 plates.
6. Place a handful of fried prawns on top and serve at once.