On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Arizona
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Boston
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Massachusetts
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Dukkah is an Egyptian spice blend made of toasted nuts and herbs - here, Alan Coxon rubs stuffed roast chicken with spices and serves them with sweet potato wedges
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. For the dukkah spice mix, warm the hazelnuts, chickpeas, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a frying pan, over a gentle heat. This helps draw out, and intensify the flavours.
3. Transfer to a food processor, and add the peppercorns, salt and mint leaves. Process until it becomes a smooth powder.
4. For the can can birds, wrap each can in tin foil. This prevents any pigment from the can's covering tainting the meat. Stuff each bird with a bay leaf, cinnamon stick and red chilli. Divide the coriander and cumin seeds between each bird and add to the other spices. Turn the chicken upright, so the legs are pointing towards you. Insert the can inside the cavity of each bird - this might be quite a tight squeeze! Stand the cans on 2 roasting tins - the birds shouldn't touch the roasting tins and will be suspended on the cans.
5. Drizzle the chickens with olive oil and scatter with half the dukkah spice mixture.
6. Roast the chickens in the oven for around 1 hour before smearing with Dijon mustard. Sprinkle over the remaining dukkha spice blend.
7. For the sweet potato wedges, put the chopped sweet potatoes in another roasting tin and drizzle with oil.
8. Sprinkle with pepper, salt, coriander, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook for 30-35 minutes, at the same oven temperature, until golden brown and cooked through.
9. Serve the chickens straight away with the sweet potato wedges and a leafy salad on the side.
For the dukkah spice blend
- 250 g roasted hazelnuts
- 125 g dried chickpeas
- 50 g coriander seeds
- 50 g cumin seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 100 g salt
- 30 g dried mint leaves
For the can can birds
- 4 x 1 kg chicken
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cinnamon
- 4 dried chillies
- 20 g coriander seeds
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 small cans of lager, quarter-filled
- 60 ml olive oil
- 60 ml Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
For the sweet potato wedges