Saffron and buttermilk cake with honey butter glaze
From: Great Food Live
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - San Jose
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Denver
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 10
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 35 min
- makes one 20 x 30cm cake
For a tempting baked treat to enjoy at tea time, make Liz Franklin's fragrant saffron-flecked cake
For the cake
- pinches strands saffron
- 300 g caster sugar
- 50 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 225 ml buttermilk
- 175 g self-raising flour
For the glaze
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter a 20 x 30cm baking tin. Put the saffron strands in a small bowl and cover with 2 tablespoons of hot water. Leave to infuse for 20 minutes or so - a couple of hours steeping time would be even better.
2. Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until they are fully incorporated.
4. Stir in the buttermilk, followed by the flour, saffron and its soaking liquid.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes, until the mixture is golden and springy to the touch.
6. For the glaze, melt the butter and honey together over a low heat.
7. Spoon the glaze evenly over the cake's surface, while the cake is still warm.
8. Leave the cake to cool in its tin, and when completely cool, cut into squares. Serve with good dollop of cream.