On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Everyday Easy
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Feast Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Roast Pork, Black Pudding and Gooseberries
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 35 min
- makes one 20 x 30cm cake
For a tempting baked treat to enjoy at tea time, make Liz Franklin's fragrant saffron-flecked cake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter a 20 x 30cm baking tin. Put the saffron strands in a small bowl and cover with 2 tablespoons of hot water. Leave to infuse for 20 minutes or so - a couple of hours steeping time would be even better.
2. Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until they are fully incorporated.
4. Stir in the buttermilk, followed by the flour, saffron and its soaking liquid.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes, until the mixture is golden and springy to the touch.
6. For the glaze, melt the butter and honey together over a low heat.
7. Spoon the glaze evenly over the cake's surface, while the cake is still warm.
8. Leave the cake to cool in its tin, and when completely cool, cut into squares. Serve with good dollop of cream.