On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tea Party
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 30 mins marinating
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Easy, impressive and irresistible, this seared beef and salad combo from Paul Heathcote is certain to be a success
Method1. Season the beef with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sear the beef on all sides until golden brown. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Leave on one side until cool. Transfer to a freezer for 30 minutes - this will firm up the texture to make it easier to slice.
2. Slice the beef as thinly as possible and lay the meat flat on a plate.
3. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the beef slices. Leave to steep for 10 minutes, before turning the meat over and marinating for a further 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil the eggs for 5½ minutes, before dropping immediately into cold water. Leave to cool, and remove the shells.
5. Arrange the potatoes and baby gem leaves in a salad bowl. Dress in olive oil, and season to taste.
6. Divide the salad and potatoes equally between 4 plates and add a few slices of marinated beef. Gently tear the eggs open and place one in the middle of each salad. Sprinkle over a little red cress, if available, and serve.
For the salad
- 4 eggs
- 12 cooked new potatoes, halved
- 1 baby gem lettuce, washed and dried
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the beef
- 300 g beef fillet
- black pepper
For the marinade