On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - English
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Malaysian
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - Italian
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- 2 as a main course, 4 as a starter
The sweetness of parsnips takes on the bite of chillies with tasty results - check out this great savoury cake by Frank Bordoni
Method1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, turn down the heat, and simmer the parsnips for 15 minutes, until they are tender. Tip into a colander, drain well and mash with a fork.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a non-stick frying pan, add the bacon and fry until golden. Add the chilli and chopped shallots, continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and remove the pan from the heat. Preheat an oven to 180C/gas 4.
3. Combine the mashed parsnips with the bacon mixture. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Pile the parsnip mixture into the tin and flatten the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top of the savoury cake is crisp and golden.
4. While the cake is baking, combine the mustard, honey and cream together in a small saucepan, over a low heat. Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the mixture reaches boiling point.
5. Remove the cake from the oven, cool slightly and turn out onto a board. Cut into wedges and serve with the warm honey dressing. An ideal accompaniment to this dish would be a crisp green salad.