On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Roast Pork, Black Pudding and Gooseberries
- 21:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Blueberry Coronation Chicken and Two Course Pasty
- 22:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Pizza, Blackberry Beer and Chicken Pie
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- makes 8 skewers
Ian Pengally's spicy sambal-coated vegetable skewers are a huge success at parties
Method1. For the sambal, place the shallots, garlic, chillies, ginger, lime leaves and lime juice in a food processor. Add the oil and salt and blend until smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook for 6 minutes, over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the coconut together with 120ml of cold water and continue cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed, but the sambal is still quite moist.
4. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a wok and fry the peanuts for 4 minutes. Drain, and transfer to absorbent paper and leave to cool. Grind to a fine powder in a blender.
5. To make the spice paste, place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and cook the paste for 3-4 minutes.
6. Pour in 600 ml of water and bring the sauce to a boil. Stir in the ground peanuts, cover the pan and simmer for three minutes.
7. Remove the lid and cook for a further 2 minutes, until the sauce has reduced to a coating consistency.
8. For the vegetables, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Peel the vegetables and cut into 2.5cm cubes. Put them into a large zip-lock bag with the sauce and sambal - reserving a tablespoon of the sauce and sambal for serving with the finished skewers. Zip the bag shut and shake the bag around so that the sambal clings to the vegetables.
9. Transfer the vegetables to a baking tray, cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, until tender but barely coloured. Leave on one side to cool.
10. Spear the vegetables onto skewers and cook until coloured, on a hot griddle, over a high heat. Serve straight away with extra coconut sambal and peanut sauce.
For the vegetable skewers
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 1 mooli (white radish), (mooli)
- 2-3 carrots
- 2-3 turnips
- 2 slightly unripe plantains
For the coconut sambol
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 large red chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 red bird's eye chillies, (optional), chopped
- 1x3 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 3 lime leaves, shredded
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 g desiccated coconut, or grated coconut
For the peanut sauce
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 225 g raw, shelled peanuts
For the spice paste