On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
David Massey spices it right in this fragrant and flavoursome take on a traditional kedgeree
MethodPlace the saffron in a small bowl and cover with one tablespoon of warm water. Leave on one side to steep for 15 minutes.
Simmer the haddock in a pan with 600ml water for 3-4 minutes. Remove the haddock and set aside in a warm place whilst retaining the cooking liquor.
Melt half the butter in a pan over a low heat and gently fry the onions, without colouring.
Stir in the coriander, chilli, cumin and sultanas and cook further for a minute. Add the rice and cook for a further two minutes.
Stir in the saffron infusion and cover the rice with the cooking liquor from the fish. Stir once, and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down, cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
When the rice is ready, gently fork in the flaked haddock, chopped boiled eggs, parsley, lemon juice and the rest of the butter. Season to taste and serve immediately.
- 1 pinches saffron
- 450 g naturally smoked haddock fillets
- 75 g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- 200 g basmati rice
- 3 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 0.5 lemons, juice only
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper