On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Restaurant Revelations
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 10 mins resting
- Cook time:
- 40 min
For a classic French recipe try Mike Robinson's slow-baked goose, gently cooked in tasty goose fat to melting tenderness
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. To prepare the potatoes, par-boil them in a pan of boiling water for 7 minutes.
3. Drain them, return to the pan and shake the pan vigorously. Now take a heavy cast iron skillet, or a heavy roasting dish and heat over a high heat.
4. Spoon the goose fat into the pan and heat through. Add the potatoes and brown on all sides on the hob for about 10 minutes.
5. Scatter the thyme over the potatoes. Hit each garlic clove with the heel of your hand and add them to the potatoes, mixing well to make sure that the potatoes are well-coated with fat.
6. Season the potatoes with rock salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning now and then.
7. For the goose, score a deep cross in the skin of each goose breast. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and rub with the honey.
8. Preheat a frying pan until very hot. Add the goose skin-down and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the goose breasts to a roasting tray, uncooked side-down. Sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar and thyme.
9. Roast the goose breasts in the oven alongside the roast potatoes for 15 minutes, remove and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, make the redcurrant jus. Put the stock and red wine into a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook briskly until reduced by half.
11. Add the redcurrant jelly. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until it forms a thick gravy. Stir in the butter and keep warm.
12. Slice the rested goose breasts and serve with the roast potatoes, drizzling round the redcurrant jus just before serving.
- 2 goose breast fillets
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
For the roast potatoes
- 12 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and halved
- 4 tbsp goose fat, or duck
- 1 bunches thyme
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 pinches rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the redcurrant jus