On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making It Up Isn't Making Do
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Leftovers
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus one hr soaking for the saffron
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Simple, stylish and wonderfully colourful, add some spice to your entertaining with this tasty dish from Roopa Gulati
Method1. Soak the saffron in warm water and set aside for an hour or so to develop its colour and flavour. Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas 4.
2. Heat the butter in a large frying pan, and tip in the sliced shallots, ginger, garlic, strip of orange rind and split red chilli. Cover and cook until the shallots have softened - about five minutes. Add the almonds, turmeric and paprika and continue frying for another minute or two.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cool slightly, and scrape the almond mixture into a liquidizer. Pour in the yogurt, cream and cornflour and blitz everything until quite smooth. Spoon the spiced almond yogurt over the chicken and leave to marinate for an hour or two.
4. Bake the chicken in a moderate oven for around 40 minutes, until tender, and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the saffron and soaking liquid, and scatter with almonds and wisps of gold leaf before serving.
- 1 pinches strands saffron
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 cm piece ginger, shredded
- 3 large cloves garlic, shredded
- 1 orange rind, strip pared with a vegetable peeler
- 1 red chillies
- 50 g blanched almonds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 350 ml yogurt
- 150 ml single cream
- 8 chicken thighs, skins removed
- 1 pinches gold leaf, optional