Oven fried chicken and French fries
From: Good Food Bites
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 50 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Dr Tim Harlan bakes a brilliant alternative to fried chicken and French fries without losing irresistible flavour and crunch
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 140 g melba toast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground black pepper
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 125 g boneless chicken breasts
For the French fries
- 450 g potatoes, cut into ½ cm strips and soaked in cold water and ice for 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil spray
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. In a small bowl whisk the egg, egg white and Dijon mustard until smooth.
2. Place the Melba toast, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and blitz to create textured breadcrumbs (leave some pieces about the size of currants).
3. Dip a chicken breast in the egg mixture, coating it thoroughly and then dredge in the breadcrumbs, patting and turning frequently until well coated.
4. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for three minutes, and then lightly spray the top of each chicken breast with oil.
5. Bake for five minutes more then turn. Spray lightly with the oil again and bake for a further six minutes. This recipe works well with any piece of chicken (with or without the bone). Use skinless legs, thighs or breasts.
6. Meanwhile, remove the potato strips from the iced water and pat dry.
7. Put potatoes and salt in a plastic bag or lidded box and spray with rapeseed oil for about three seconds. Shake, to coat the potatoes well with oil and salt.
8. Lay the potatoes on a baking tray, ensuring they do not touch each other, and spray lightly with the rapeseed oil. Bake for about seven minutes, turn, bake for a further seven minutes and turn again and bake for another five minutes until golden and cooked. Serve immediately