On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 2
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
- Makes about 3 dozen pieces
Pretty in pink and gently perfumed with rose water, Liz Franklin's turkish delight makes a sensational sweet treat for a special gift
Method1. Dust a baking tray measuring 20x25cm with cornflour. Pour half of the water into a heavy based saucepan and add the sugars and lemon juice. Heat until the sugar has dissolved and then bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture reaches 115C on a sugar thermometer (soft ball stage). Remove from the heat.
3. In a separate saucepan, mix the cornflour and cream of tartar together with the remaining water until the mixture is smooth. Cook over a medium heat until the mixture thickens.
4. Gradually pour the hot sugar syrup into the cornflour paste, stirring continuously. Return the mixture to the heat and simmer for about one hour, until the mixture is pale and feels stringy when a little of the cold mixture is pulled between the fingers. Stir in the rose water and grenadine.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and leave to set overnight.
6. Cut into squares. Mix the cornflour and icing sugar together and toss the Turkish delight in it. Store in an airtight container, between layers of greaseproof paper.