On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
Submitted by: rickB52336
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
David Massey comes up with the perfect hearty meal - a tasty beef in wine stew topped with a cheese scone topping
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan. Season 2 tablespoons of flour with salt and freshly ground pepper. Lightly coat the pieces of beef in the seasoned flour and fry in batches until golden brown.
3. Transfer the browned beef to a casserole dish.
4. Add the remaining oil to the saucepan, heat through and add in the onion, carrot, leek, celery, parsnip and garlic. Fry until lightly browned, adding the caster sugar.
5. Remove the browned vegetables and add to the beef in the casserole dish.
6. Add the stock to the saucepan and heat through, scraping the pan to deglaze it.
7. Pour the hot stock into the casserole. Add the wine and bay leaf.
8. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
9. To make the cobbler topping, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub the butter and mustard into the flour then add the parsley and three-quarters of the grated Cheddar.
10. Mix the beaten eggs, milk and horseradish together then fold into the flour mixture.
11. Remove the casserole from the oven, adjust the seasoning and thicken with a paste made from the remaining flour and butter (if desired).
12. Divide the cobbler mixture into 8 portions and place on top of the casserole. Top with the remaining Cheddar. Increase the oven temperature to 230ºC/gas 8 and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 900 g chuck steak, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 large stick celery
- 1 small parsnips, chopped
- 1 whole cloves garlic, chopped
- 0.5 tsp caster sugar
- 600 ml beef stock
- 600 ml red wine
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 tsp butter, (optional)
For the cobbler topping