On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Corsica and Sardinia
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Washington DC and Maryland
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
James Martin does naughty but nice in this gloriously wicked combination of buttery croissants in a white chocolate and whisky custard
Method1. Set the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan, add the vanilla pod, and gradually bring to the boil.
3. Place the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl and mix well.
4. While the cream is heating, slice the croissants and place in an ovenproof dish, slightly overlapping the pieces. Sprinkle with sultanas and pour over the butter.
5. Once the cream has boiled, take it off the heat. Add the egg mixture and chocolate and stir well. Set aside to allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the whisky to the cream mixture.
7. Using a fine meshed sieve to strain the cream over the croissants. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until almost set.
8. Remove from the oven, coat the top with the jam, and dust with icing sugar. Caramelise the topping using a very hot grill or a cook's blowtorch. This is best served at room temperature, with a spoonful of good quality ice cream.