On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus overnight or 2 hrs marinating
- Cook time:
- 20 min, for every 450g
Try this Sunday roast recipe provided by Highland Game to ring the changes with fresh herby flavours with hints of lemon.
Place the venison in a non-metallic dish. Stab the meat in several places with a small sharp knife. Mix the olive oil, lemon rind and juice, rosemary, salt and pepper together and pour over the venison. Rub the marinade all over the haunch, cover and leave in a cool place to marinate for several hours or overnight. The next day, insert small sprigs of fresh rosemary into the slits. Preheat the oven to 230C/gas 8. Weigh the venison and calculate the cooking time, allowing 15 minutes per 450g for medium venison and 20 minutes for well done.
Scatter the carrots, parsnips and potatoes with the remaining sprigs of rosemary over the base of a very large roasting tin. Lift the venison out of the marinade and place on top of the vegetables. Pour over any remaining marinade. Put the venison to brown in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 200C/gas 6 and add 300 ml (1/2 pint) stock, cook for the calculated time. Baste frequently with the juices in the pan.
When the venison is cooked, remove to a serving dish, cover and allow to rest for 15 -20 minutes in the cooled switched-off oven. This will make it easier to carve and re-distribute the juices throughout the meat.
Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish and keep warm. Carve the meat into generous slices and serve with the vegetables
- 1 haunch of venison steaks, boned and rolled
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon juice, with grated rind
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 8 large large mild onions, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 300 ml venison or beef stock