On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The Heart of England
- 21:00 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 21:30 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Ken Hom reveals the secret of everyone's favourite Chinese crisp-fried seaweed and shows how easy it is to do at home
Method1. Set the oven to 130°C/gas 3. Separate the stalks from the stem of the bok choi and then cut the green leaves from the white stalks. Wash the leaves in several changes of cold water, then drain them thoroughly and dry in a salad spinner.
2. Roll the leaves up tightly, a few at a time, and finely shred them into strips 5mm wide.
3. Spread them out on a baking sheet and dry them out in the oven for 15 minutes (they should not be completely dry or they will burn when fried). Remove from the oven and leave to cool. This can be done the day before.
4. Heat a wok over a high heat, and then add the oil. When the oil is hot and slightly smoking deep-fry the greens in three or four batches. After about 30-40 seconds, when they turn crisp and green, remove them immediately from the wok and drain well on kitchen paper. Leave to cool.
5. Toss the crispy greens with the salt and sugar, garnish with the pine kernels, and serve.