On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers - Teatime Treats
- 20:30 - The Hairy Bakers - Pies and Pasties
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 3
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Melting calf's liver, creamy mashed potato and buttery cabbage make a tempting trio in this sensational supper dish from Anthony Worral Thompson
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Arrange the tomatoes in a small roasting pan and drizzle over the olive oil. Season generously and roast for 5-10 minutes until lightly charred.
2. For the mash, cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Heat the butter and cream together until the butter is thoroughly melted. Mash the potatoes, and then add the butter and cream. Stir thoroughly until you have a smooth paste and season. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Place the flour on a flat plate and season generously, then use to dust the calf's liver until well coated. Heat a frying pan and add the butter. Add the calf's liver to the pan and quickly fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. The liver should be pink in the centre, but if you prefer it well done cook for slightly longer. Remove the liver from the pan, place on a plate and keep warm.
4. To make the gravy, pour a splash of stock, red wine and balsamic vinegar into the same pan, scraping the bottom to release any of the bits that have stuck. Cook for a minute, season to taste, and then return the liver to the pan and just warm through.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage. Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the pancetta cubes and shallots, until the shallots have softened. Add the cabbage and fennel seeds and fry until slightly wilted.
6. To serve, arrange the liver on serving plates with the roasted tomatoes. Drizzle around a little of the gravy, garnish with the chives and a knob of butter, and serve with the ultimate mashed potato and bacony Savoy cabbage.
For the tomatoes
- 4 bunches cherry tomatoes, on the vine (each with about 5 tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinches black pepper
For the mashed potato
- 6 medium Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 75 g butter
- 150 ml double cream
For the liver
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 calves' liver, slices, each 175g
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 120 ml beef stock
- 120 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped, to garnish
For the cabbage