On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat Glorious Meat
- Prep time:
- 45 min, plus overnight chilling
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Add a piquant zip to cold meats and cheese with Mike Robinson's recipe for a very traditional British relish
1. Place the green beans, cauliflower, carrot, celery, gooseberries and melon in a large bowl, mixing well. Add in enough cold water to cover the mixture and then add in 50g of salt, stirring it well.
2. Cover the mixture with a plate and weigh it down. Leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
3. The following day, grind the mustard seeds using a mill until they are coarsely ground.
4. Drain and rinse the vegetable mixture several times with fresh water to remove excessive saltiness, then mix in the ground mustard seeds.
5. Place the vinegar, turmeric, remaining salt, cinnamon stick, clove and mace in a stainless steel saucepan.
6. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Strain the cider mixture over the vegetable mixture, stirring well.
7. Store the piccalilli in warm, sterilised jars. It can be eaten at once but improves with age.