On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Germany
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Born and Bred
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Chilli con Carne
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
A vibrantly coloured, smooth, fiery sauce from Mitch Tonks. Try it spooned over grilled sausages, chicken breasts or pork chops
Method1. Put the chillies, whole tomatoes, including the skin and seeds, ginger, fish sauce and garlic into a blender or food processor and blend to a purée.
2. Put the vinegar and sugar into a medium saucepan, add the purée from the blender and slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently and removing any scum that may come to the surface.
3. Cook for 30 40 minutes, stirring frequently until a 'jam' consistency is reached.
4. Taste the jam and add more sugar to sweeten or more vinegar if it is too sweet. Keep tasting until you get the balance right. Just before serving add the chopped coriander and the lime juice.
- 6 large red chillies
- 600 g ripe tomatoes
- 75 g ginger, chopped
- 50 ml fish sauce, Nam Pla
- 5 clove garlic
- 300 ml red wine vinegar, plus extra to taste
- 350 g caster sugar, plus extra to taste
- 1 handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 limes, juice