On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Fresh juicy oranges in a dark caramel sauce make a fabulous combination in this simple yet stylish recipe from Sophie Grigson
Method1. Pare the zest from 2 oranges. Cut into fine shreds, and then blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and reserve.
2. Peel all 4 oranges, cutting right down to the flesh with a sharp knife. Slice each orange, saving the juices that are squeezed out and discarding any pips that you happen across.
3. Re-assemble each orange it in its original form, and push 2 cocktail sticks through it to hold it more or less together. Arrange the oranges in a shallow dish, together with any juice gathered from peeling and slicing.
4. Put the sugar into a pan with 100ml water and the cloves - use one with a metallic or white interior, not black, so that you can see the colour of the sugar clearly as it caramelises.
5. Stir over a moderate heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Bring up to the boil and stop stirring. Boil hard, swirling the pan occasionally to even out hot spots, but never stirring, until the sugar darkens to a hazelnut-brown caramel.
6. Now at arm's length, pour in 150ml hot water; take care - it will splutter and spit at you.
7. Swirl the pan, and then stir to make a clear caramel sauce. Add the shreds of orange zest and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes in the syrup until translucent. Pour the syrup and the shreds over the oranges, then leave to cool.
8. Serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.