On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Smoky fish and spicy rice make a mouth-watering combination in this cracking flavour-packed kedgeree recipe from Sophie Grigson
1. Cover the haddock with boiling water and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid.
2. Measure the soaking liquid and add enough water to make it up to 400ml. Skin and flake the haddock, removing any stray bones you come across, and set aside.
3. Melt 30g of the butter with the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently until softened but not browned.
4. Add the rice and the curry paste and stir for 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour in the measured cooking liquid, bring up to the boil then reduce heat down to a bare simmer and cover tightly.
6. Leave to cook, without disturbing for 8 minutes, and then stir in the flaked haddock and the peas.
7. Cover again and simmer for a further 4-5 minutes, until the rice is quite tender and has absorbed virtually all the liquid. If absolutely necessary, add a splash more hot water to prevent burning.
8. Draw the pan off the heat, dot the rice with remaining butter, and then cover and let it stand for 4 minutes or so.
9. Add the egg and parsley and stir in lightly with a fork, fluffing up the grains of rice. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt only if needed.
10. Pile up in a mound on a serving dish and serve steaming hot with lemon or lime wedges and plenty of mango chutney.
- 450 g smoked haddock fillets
- 85 g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 onions, chopped
- 170 g basmati rice, rinsed
- 0.5 tbsp curry paste, (mild)
- 140 g frozen peas, thawed (or fresh in season)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 6 lemon wedges, or lime wedges
- 1 jars mango chutney