On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Turkey and Trimmings
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Brunch, Lunch and Breakfast
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
Faith Brown rustles up winner of a dinner with this hearty stew and light-as-air dumplings - just like Mama used to make
1. Put the beef and water in a large saucepan and bring up to the boil. Simmer gently for 1 hour.
2. Add the vegetables, stock and herbs. Bring back to the boil then leave to simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Mix the flour with cold water to make a paste. Add this to the stew to thicken the broth.
4. Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Sift the flour with the salt, and then stir in the suet and parsley.
5. Add the garlic and enough cold water to mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
6. Divide into pieces about as big as walnut, and roll each one into a ball.
7. Add the dumplings to the stew, cover the pan and simmer for a final 15-20 minutes, until the dumplings are puffed and cooked through and stew has thickened.
8. Serve immediately.
- 450 g stewing beef steaks, e.g. shin of beef, or skirt, or chuck steak, cubed
- 600 ml water
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 a white cabbage, shredded
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 cube of beef stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinches black pepper
For the dumplings: