On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat Glorious Meat
Method1. Put the gammon joint into a large bowl (or spotlessly clean bucket), cover with cold water and leave to soak for 24 hours. Drain well.
2. Set the oven to 160°C/gas 3. Lay a sheet of kitchen foil in a roasting pan that is large enough to take the joint with some room to spare. Lay a second sheet across it, at right angles. Sit the gammon joint square in the middle; bring the silver foil up around the gammon, sealing edges together neatly and comprehensively, to form a loose, airtight wrapping around the gammon.
3. Roast for 2 hours. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/gas 7. Open up that foil and lift the gammon out onto a large chopping board. Drain off all the juices. Make a couple of long cuts through the outer layer of skin (but not the fat underneath). Peel the fat off in strips, taking care, as it will be extremely hot.
4. Mix the mustard and honey together, and then smear thickly all over the layer of fat. Next score the fat with parallel lines first in one direction and then at an angle to it, to cover the joint in a pattern of diamonds. Push a clove into the centre of each diamond.
5. Return the joint to the oven for a final 25 minutes or until richly browned and glazed. If you are serving the joint hot, let it rest in a warm place for 20-30 minutes before carving. For cold gammon, leave it to cool in its own time.
Inspired? Take a look at our mouth-watering roast recipes
- 2 handfuls whole cloves
Tips and suggestions
- Gammon as you buy it, is salty - too salty to eat. Time permitting, put the gammon joint into a large bowl (or spotlessly clean bucket), cover with cold water and leave to soak for 24 hours. Drain well. If you haven't got 24 hours to spare, go for second best option: put the joint into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring up to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then take out the gammon joint and throw the salty water away.