On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making It Up Isn't Making Do
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Leftovers
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Fresh orange juice adds a fabulous fruity flavour to carrot soup in this colourful and tasty recipe from Marguerite Patten
Method1. Bring the water to boiling point and add the carrots, onion, mint, sage, orange zest and seasoning.
2. Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the mint and sage, transfer the soup to a blender and blend the soup until smooth.
4. If serving the soup hot, bring the soup to the boil, add the orange juice, taste and adjust the seasoning. Heat for the shortest time possible, this way the juice retains the maximum amount of vitamin C. Garnish with orange segments, a sprig of mint and a swirl of cream.
5. To serve cold, chill the soup and add the orange juice then garnish and serve.
- 600 ml water
- 450 g carrots, prepared weight
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 tbsp orange rind, grated
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 300 ml fresh orange juice
For the garnish:
- 1 small orange, cut into segments
- 10 small mint leaves
- 3 tbsp single cream
Tips and suggestions
- Liquidise the cooked vegetables if you want a smoother soup.