On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Lancashire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - North Yorkshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Herefordshire
- Prep time:
- 1 hr, plus marinating
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Juicy aromatic lamb, sweet potato mash and sautéed spinach create fabulous full-on flavours in this sensational recipe from Maria Elia
Method1. To make the marinade, crush the garlic in a pestle and mortar with a little sea salt, make a paste with the rest of ingredients, reserving 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Marinate the lamb for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
2. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. To make the sweet potato mash, place the sweet potatoes into a roasting pan, drizzle with half the olive oil and season generously. Roast for 30 minutes, until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and fry the shallots and ginger until soft, and then remove from heat until potato is cooked. Once the potato is tender, mash until smooth and then add the shallots and ginger.
4. To cook the lamb, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil from the marinade mix in a large ovenproof frying pan. Remove lamb from marinade and generously season. Once the oil is hot, carefully fry the meat on either side for 1 minute each. Transfer to the oven and cook for 6 minutes, then remove and leave to rest for 10 minutes in a warm place.
5. For the spinach with garlic, gently heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the spinach and cook until the spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat and drain spinach over a colander.
6. Return the pan to the heat, add remaining olive oil, and then fry the garlic until softened but not browned. Add the spinach, pine nuts and raisins. Season with sea salt and cook for 1 minute.
7. Whisk all of the ingredients together for the pomegranate dressing.
8. Slice the lamb. Place the mash in centre of the plate and top with some spinach, followed by the lamb.
9. Drizzle with pomegranate dressing, scatter with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of ground allspice
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 rumps lamb, each 200g
For the sweet potato mash:
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cm ginger, eeled and finely chopped
For the spinach mixture:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g spinach, tems removed
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pine kernels, lightly roasted
- 2 tbsp raisins, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, drained
For the pomegranate dressing: