On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Paul Bloxham's creative recipe for a warm beef salad offers an intriguing combination of flavours and textures
Method1. First, prepare the smoked Hollandaise. Place the herb stalks, peppercorns, rice wine vinegar and shallot in a saucepan. Cook briskly until reduced by half.
2. Place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl and strain in the vinegar, whisking as you do so. Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water and whisk until the mixture thickens.
3. Gradually beat in the melted smoked and unsalted butters until the mixture forms a sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
4. To make the spicy beef salad, combine the chillies, sambal olek, shallots, garlic and honey in a food processor and pulse into a smooth paste.
5. While the processor is running, gradually add in the soy sauce and rice vinegar and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Completely coat the beef in the chilli mixture and set aside for 3-5 minutes, to marinate briefly.
7. Heat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan until hot. Add the steak to the griddle and cook over a high heat until medium rare, about 2 minutes a side.
8. Let the beef rest for 3 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
9. To serve the warm salad, make the salad by tossing together the cabbage, spring onion, carrot, broccoli, asparagus, mint leaves, Thai basil leaves and coriander leaves. Dress with the lemon juice and olive oil.
10. Mound the salad onto 4 serving plates. Top with the warm beef, drizzle with smoked hollandaise and serve at once.
For the spicy beef
- 2 chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce, (sambal olek)
- 4 large shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- black pepper
- 1 kg sirloin, rib-eye or rump beef steaks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the smoked hollandaise
- 1 good handful of mint, Thai basil and coriander stalks
- 4 white peppercorns
- 4 tbsp mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 g smoked butter
- 125 g unsalted butter, melted
- black pepper
For the salad
- 1 medium spring cabbage, ut into short, fine strips, blanched and chilled
- 1 bunch spring onion, cut into short, fine strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into short, fine strips
- 1 bunch of purple sprouting broccoli, lanched and chilled
- 1 bunch of English asparagus
- 1 bunch of mint, leaves picked
- 1 bunch of Thai basil, leaves picked
- 1 bunch of coriander, leaves picked
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil