On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 1
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 15 mins soaking time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Cashew nuts and coconut are star ingredients in Keralan cooking. This rich curry, made by chef Abraham Chacko combines the richness of the nuts with the creaminess of coconut
Method1. Soak the cashew nuts in enough water to cover for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and tip in the onion, green chilli, garlic and ginger. Stir and fry until the onions turn golden.
3. Stir in the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric. Fry for a further minute or so to cook the spices. Add the tomatoes followed by a dash of water. Simmer over a moderate heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
4. Mix the coconut with the yogurt and stir into the sauce. Bring to a simmer and tip in the cashew nuts. Serve hot, garnished with plenty of chopped coriander.
- 125 g cashew nuts, unsalted
- 50 ml coconut oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 green chilli, shredded
- 2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
- piece ginger, (4cm)shredded
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- dash of water
Tips and suggestions
Grated coconut is sold at ethnic grocers.