On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 5
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Bread
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Sweet-scented cardamom lends an intriguing flavour to this simple curry prepared by Reza Mahammed
Method1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and toss in the cardamom pods. After a few seconds they will begin to sizzle and give off a lovely nutty whiff. As soon as this happens, stir in the shredded ginger and chopped garlic followed by the diced onions and curry leaves.
2. Fry the onions over a medium heat until golden. Sprinkle in the turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and half of the ground cardamom. Stir and fry for a further minute before adding the water along with the chopped tomatoes. Cook down until the sauce has thickened slightly.
3. Tip the chicken pieces into the pan, add a dash of water and sprinkle in the remaining cardamom powder. Simmer the chicken curry for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened.
4. Serve garnished with a little more cardamom powder and scattered with chopped coriander.
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 8 cardamom pods, split
- 2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 green chillies, shredded
- 4 medium diced onions, diced
- 12 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ground cardamom
- 150 ml water
- 500 g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 (about 1 kg) chicken