On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Game and Mushrooms
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Charcuterie
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 30 mins resting
- Cook time:
- 45 min
For a splendid dish try Tony Tobin's elegant version of a British classic, flavoured with Parma ham and morel mushrooms
Method1. Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan. Add in the shallots, garlic and thyme and fry gently, stirring now and then, until the shallots are transparent.
2. Meanwhile, place the morels and flat mushrooms in a food processor and process until very finely chopped.
3. Add this morel mixture to the shallots and fry, stirring now and then, until the mixture becomes quite dry, around 10 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and allow to cool.
4Heat a heavy-based frying pan until it's smoking hot. Brush the beef fillet with olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry in the pan until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Roll out the puff pastry to half a centimetre thickness into a rectangle large enough to wrap around the beef. Set the pastry aside to rest for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas 8.
7. Lay out the Parma ham to form a square large enough to wrap around the beef fillet.
8. Spread the Parma ham with the morel mushroom mix, then place the beef fillet into the centre and wrap the ham around it.
9. Place the ham-wrapped beef in the centre of the rolled-out puff pastry, brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg and wrap like a parcel around the beef, sealing the edges well.
10. Place the beef Wellington parcel onto a greased baking sheet and brush with more beaten egg.
11. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
12. Cut into thin slices and serve with red wine gravy and curly kale.
- 25 g butter
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- pinch of thyme, leaves only
- 400 g fresh morel mushrooms
- 100 g flat mushrooms
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 700 g beef fillet, cut from the centre
- olive oil, for brushing
- 200 g Parma ham, finely sliced
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- red wine gravy, to serve
- curly kale, to serve