On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - Caribbean
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Scottish
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - American
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 1 hr resting
- Cook time:
- 5 min
- Makes about 12 cannoli
Crisp pastry with a creamy ricotta, chocolate and candied fruit filling makes a sublime Sicilian style dessert from Gennaro Contaldo
Method1. First make the filling. Place ricotta and icing sugar in a large bowl and whisk until creamy. Fold in the chocolate chips and candied fruits. Set aside.
2. To make the pastry, place the flour, cocoa powder, coffee, butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix well together. Gradually add the wine and mix well until the mixture forms pastry dough. Form the pastry into a ball and wrap in cling film. Leave to rest for an hour.
3. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm. With a round pastry cutter, cut circles with a diameter of about 7.5 cm and wrap around the tubular moulds, securing the edges with the beaten egg.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pan to 180°C. Fry the cannoli until golden-brown. Drain on kitchen paper and gently remove the moulds.
5. Leave to cool, and then fill the cannoli with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee, freshly ground
- 30 g butter, softened
- 25 g sugar
- 60 ml white wine
- 1 egg, beaten
- olive oil, for deep-frying
- icing sugar, to decorate
For the filling:
- 600 g ricotta cheese
- 150 g icing sugar
- 25 g chocolate chips
- 50 g candied fruits, finely chopped