On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Georgia to Florida
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Connecticut
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Connecticut Part II
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Beef fillet, crisp potatoes, a lip-smacking sauce and truffle-dressed watercress make a mouth-watering combination from Ed Baines
Method1. Hammer out the steak between 2 sheets of cling film until doubled in size.
2. To make the Pomme Pont Neuf, cut potatoes into large oblongs and blanch in boiling salted water for 4 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180°C, and fry the potatoes until crisp.
4. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the chopped shallot and garlic.
5. Stir in the finely chopped button mushrooms, pour over the brandy and beef stock, and reduce gently by three quarters.
6. Stir in the Dijon mustard, chopped parsley and double cream.
7. For the truffle dressing, whisk the egg yolk and slowly pour over truffle oil.
8. Stir in the lemon juice and chopped parsley and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
9. Griddle the steak, adjusting the cooking time according to taste.
10. Divide the watercress between 2 dinner plates and drizzle with truffle dressing. Top with the cooked steak, surrounded by the sauce and Pont Neuf potatoes.
- 225 g fillet of beef
- large bunch of watercress, to serve
For the sauce:
- 30 g butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 25 ml brandy
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp double cream
For the Pomme Pont Neuf:
- 2 Maris Piper potatoes, cut into large oblongs
- oil, for deep fat frying
For the truffle dressing: