On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Jersey Shore
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Syracuse, New York
- 21:00 - Man v. Food - Portland, ME
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
For a luxurious version of a great British classic try Brian Turner's lovingly constructed, flavourful, root-topped shepherd's pie
Method1. Melt the lard in a large, deep, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the chopped onion and carrot and fry gently until softened but not coloured.
2. Add in the minced lamb and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add in the tomato puree and flour and mix well.
4. Add in the stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and parsley. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Transfer the lamb mixture to a pie dish and leave to cool.
7. Heat the butter in a small frying pan. Add the garlic and fry gently, stirring often, until softened, around 5 minutes.
8. Add in the tomatoes, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry, stirring now and then, for 5 minutes.
9. Pour the tomato mixture over the lamb mixture.
10. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
11. To make the topping, place the potato, swede and carrot in a large pan. Cover with cold water, add salt to taste, bring to the boil and cook until tender.
12. Drain the vegetables, return to the pan and heat gently over a low heat to dry the vegetables thoroughly.
13. Bring the double cream to the boil in a small saucepan.
14. Meanwhile, pass the drained root vegetables through a ricer.
15. Fold the riced root vegetables into the hot cream. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and grated nutmeg.
16. Fold 55g of the Wensleydale cheese and the spring onions into the riced root vegetables.
17. Pipe the root vegetable mixture over the lamb and tomato mixture, forming an even layer.
18. Bake the shepherd's pie in the oven for 10 minutes.
19. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the shepherd's pie. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- 25 g lard
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 450 g cooked lamb, minced
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 15 g plain flour
- 300 ml beef stock
- dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- dashes of tabasco
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 25 g butter
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
For the topping: